Cobra Chess Club 2020-2021: A Look Ahead

This is the last photograph I took of our Cobra Chess Club when we were at school 2020 located in a space we refer to at Canyon Hills Middle School as the “the A file…” This is where we host club!

It’s been a year to remember. We participated in many tournaments this year. Won some, lost some. We achieved Regional Chess Champions again this year for secondary schools, two time defending champs! As a club and a community we also organized our first chess tournament on campus in 2020. In addition, we were able to partner with several community organizations and started hosting chess club at the El Paso Public Library Richard Burges Branch where we hosted a few chess tournaments and events this year. This is through our community group called Community Chess Connection which includes partnership with coaches in the city including co-founder Mr. Plasencia of the La Fe Chess Club from Segundo Barrio. Our partnership also included securing a space in our NorthEast community through City Parks & Recreation at the Nolan Richardson Center. 2020 also marked the first time we made our way out to Las Cruces, New Mexico to participate in a chess tournament with Coach Manny at the PAL Boxing gym on South Solano! There is a lot to remember about 2020, which we’ll document here at our Cobra Chess website from time to time. We couldn’t foresee what was ahead of us in March but are working on ways to adapt. Several of our Queen Cobras and King Cobras have been able to step up to the board and keep our club alive virtually. As we make moves to plan for the new and uncertain future, I’ll make sure to check in to reflect. 2020 was a pivotal year for us. One to remember for sure as we prepare for 2021. Check.

If your child will attend Canyon Hills Middle School during 2020-2021 (incoming 6th graders) and you’d like information for how to register your child into our Cobra Chess Club please email me, Mr. Lee aka mrKingCobra at ltrhyane@episd.org or mrleebooks@gmail.com. I currently teach English (6th & 7th grade) at Canyon Hills Middle School and with the Cobra Tech Academy and am the chess organizer and coach on campus. Despite the current situation, we’re still very much an active club that continues to participate in local chess tournaments facilitated online. We also have hours available online through WebEx to register new club members and connect students with an account on Chess Kid where our club is also present. This is a wonderful resource to utilize especially if your child is new to the game and would like to develop their understanding and performance as a chess player in a structured, self paced, engaging, safe learning environment. Chess Kid also allows for parents to register to participate with their child. I also highly recommend this resource to players that are advanced to continue to sharpen skills and to stay active. The best youth chess players in the world are currently competing on Chess Kid many games which are televised live online! Check in!

Mr. Lee
mrKingCobra
Canyon Hills MS
ELAR Teacher/Chess Coach
Ltrhyane@episd.org
mrleebooks@gmail.com

**I also facilitate the Community Chess Connection and NorthEast Chess Club. If you’re a parent of an elementary, middle, or high school student in the NorthEast attending a school that DOESN’T have a Chess club and would like to figure out how to join a Chess club I’m available to register your child to our NorthEast club (virtually) or refer you to other clubs in the region that would best serve your family based on proximity or chess goals. Also, if you’re an educator that’s interested in starting a Chess club at your school, I’m more than glad to provide some advice and show you how our chess club is structured through the district and in the community to help you set up a chess club within your campus.**